5 Literary Events We’re Looking Forward to This Week (08/22/17)
The total solar eclipse was yesterday morning. From the concrete in front of our doors around 10 am, while squinting through some $10 cardboard eclipse glasses, two of us interns saw that the moon was indeed in the process of slicing our light from the sun. Today, our sun is whole and what could follow such a splendid event as a total solar eclipse? Definitely literary events. We hope that you got to see the little crescent shadows cast by leaves on the ground, if not the sun’s corona yesterday. Today, we hope that you will consider attending some of these events that make up the continual parade of literary consciousness and expression that we think nothing short of splendid.
(1) Tuesday, August 22nd @ 7:30 pm, Wellfleet Public Library in Wellfleet, MA. Ellen Meeropol & Jacqueline Sheehan Book Talk & Signing.
Join authors Ellen Meeropol & Jacqueline Sheehan as they read from and discuss their most recent books. The event is free and sure to be engaging.
(2) Thursday, August 24th @ 7:30 pm, Pegasus Books in Berkeley, CA. Brynn Saito Reading with Charif Shanahan, Emily Jungmin Yoon, and Javier Zamora.
We published Brynn’s poetry collections The Palace of Contemplating Desire in 2013 and Power Made Us Swoon in 2016. Join Brynn at this event and help us as we continue to celebrate her poetry.
(3) Sunday, August 27th @ 2 pm, The Fourth Sundays: Poetry at the Claremont Library, Claremont, CA. Douglas Manuel & Angela Peñaredondo present their work.
Douglas Manuel reads from his poetry collection, Testify, recently published by Red Hen Press. Genevieve Kaplan and Friends of the Claremont Library will host. This event is your opportunity to acquaint yourself with Douglas Manuel’s poignant work. Try not to miss it!
(4) Saturday, August 26th @ 4 pm, So Many Olympic Exertions Book Launch at Artbook @ Hauser & Wirth, Los Angeles, CA.
Anelise Chen and Jarett Kobek will read from their latest releases, So Many Olympic Exertions (Kaya Press) and The Future Won’t Be Long (Viking). Check out this event for an introduction to the debut books of two striking and inventive writers.
(5) Friday, August 25th @ 8 pm, The Last Book Store, Los Angeles, CA. The Last Book Review with Ever Mainard.
Mainard invites creative folks to tell humorous, honest stories and to share one book review. If you haven’t attended one of these events yet, we highly recommend that you find some time to drop by this Friday.