Candidates for this position must be available to work on-site in Pasadena, and be fully vaccinated.
Publisher’s Office Internships are intended for applicants interested in receiving an all-encompassing introduction to independent publishing. Ideal candidates will have excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong organization and management abilities, and a high degree of initiative and entrepreneurial spirit. This is a great opportunity to explore all facets of the publishing industry while gaining experience in the office environment.
The Publisher’s Office Intern will work closely with the Publisher and heads of departments to assist with office and database management, as well as various departmental duties. Day-to-day responsibilities include: answering phones, checking the Red Hen general information email, and greeting and checking visitors in; maintaining a neat and presentable office environment; updating Red Hen’s information and contact database; keeping track of inventory and sending inventory reports; and other administrative support such as filing, scanning, mailing, and performing data entry. Specific departmental responsibilities vary based on applicants’ interests and may include: performing research and fact-checking on various topics; reviewing and evaluating submissions, and sending query responses and rejection letters; applying for CIP data and uploading e-books; assisting with e-blasts and updating the Red Hen website and social media; and other tasks as needed.
Internship benefits include free workshops and presentations on various topics taught by our experienced staff; an intern luncheon and Q&A with our Managing Editor and Publisher; invites to Red Hen readings and events; complimentary books; and course credit, if applicable.
- Background in publishing (not required but preferred)
- An ability to commit to 16–24 hours per week for 4–6 months
- A completed or in-progress undergraduate degree (at least 2 years completed by requested internship season) in a relevant field (i.e. English, Communication, etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent research abilities and a meticulous attention to detail
- A self-starting attitude and ability to maintain deadlines, multi-task, and work efficiently in a fast-paced environment without close supervision
- Strong ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Computer literacy, especially with Microsoft Office and Windows 7 and 10
To apply, please email your resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and Red Hen to: production[at]redhen.org
Make sure to include “Publisher’s Office Internship” in your subject line. Only PDF and .doc/.docx files will be considered.
Interested candidates should submit their materials and applications by the following dates:
Summer: May 31
Fall: August 31
Winter/Spring: November 30th
Rolling internships: Ongoing application acceptance.
Please apply to only one internship at a time; if you are interested in more than one position, please apply to your first choice and indicate your second choice in your cover letter.
All applications that do not follow the above guidelines will not be considered.