In 1994, Mark E. Cull and I sold nearly everything we owned to co-found Red Hen Press and begin publishing talented writers who would have been overlooked by large-scale publishers. Our press moniker is a nod to the children’s classic, The Little Red Hen. Twenty-five years ago, it started with the two of us; now, we are supported by a small but dedicated team of nine staff members, hundreds of poets and novelists who have trusted us to share their stories, and a growing number of generous donors.
Publishing quality works of literature takes a community and you can support us by joining our Planned Giving Program. You can provide underserved youths access to passionate instructors, free textbooks, and foster their love for literature. You can help us discover and empower diverse authors. You can help ensure the future of independent literature, and you can create a legacy for yourself and your family.
Ways to Support
- Will and Living Trust: Include Red Hen Press in your will or trust by indicating a specific gift or a percentage of the residue. You can designate that your donation remains unrestricted or direct it to a specific program such as our Writing in the Schools program or one of our many imprints.
- Retirement Plans, CDs, and Bank Accounts: Red Hen Press is a tax-exempt, nonprofit organization. By listing us as a beneficiary of your IRA, 401(K), or other retirement assets, you are ensuring your gift benefits the creative arts.
- Charitable Remainder Trust: Provide for your beneficiaries first for their lives or a period of years, then donate the remainder to Red Hen Press.
- Life Insurance: Provide a gift by naming Red Hen Press as the sole, partial, or contingent beneficiary of a life insurance policy that has outlasted its purpose. You may also transfer ownership to us.
- Real Estate: Help Red Hen Press grow our literary community by donating your home, vacation properties, undeveloped land, and commercial property into a satellite location for literary events. The donation can be made during your lifetime.
- Donor-Advised Funds: Recommend a grant from your Fidelity Charitable, Vanguard Charitable, Schwab Charitable, or other Donor-Advised Funds. Find your fund here.
- Gifts of Intellectual and Creative Property, Royalties, and Residuals: Red Hen Press is honored to serve as your publisher. Income from your literary works can help support the Press for many years to come.
Legal Name, Address, Tax Identification #
Red Hen Press, Inc.
PO Box 40820, Pasadena, CA 91114
Tax/EIN ID# 95-4754598
Suggested Bequest Language
“I hereby give the sum of $_____ (or percentage of my residuary estate or asset) to Red Hen Press, Inc., Tax ID: 95-4754598, now or formerly located at PO Box 40820, Pasadena, CA 91114 for its unrestricted use and purposes.”
How can I make a Gift to Red Hen Press?
- Consult with your planning advisers.
- Decide which Planned Giving method aligns best with your interests and in what amount.
- Update your estate planning documents to include your gifts.
- For a gift of real estate, include a new deed and the appropriate documents.
- Request a “change of beneficiary” form and name Red Hen Press as a beneficiary of a life insurance policy or retirement account.
a. Write in our legal name (Red Hen Press, Inc.) and tax identification number (#95-4754598)
- Build the financial strength of Red Hen Press.
- Costs you nothing now.
- Allows for a change in beneficiaries at any time.
- Avoid the double taxation your retirement savings would incur if you designated your heir(s) as beneficiary(ies).
- Donors who contribute $5,000 or more will earn a spot on our donor wall which is on display at our Hen House in Pasadena. The amount will also be featured on our website.
Read the full article at the Los Angeles Review of Books