Red Hen is now accepting applications for its Social Media Internship. Social Media internships are intended for qualified applicants seeking hands-on experience in public relations, brand development, and new media platforms, particularly related to publishing. Ideal candidates will have excellent communication skills, a sense of humor, excellent and engaging writing ability, a self-starting attitude, experience with standard social media platforms, and a strong interest in literature.
The Social Media intern works closely with the Publicity Department to promote Red Hen’s books and programs on social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, as well as the Red Hen Press website. Responsibilities may include: assisting in the creation of monthly newsletters and regular eblasts; researching for, updating, and tracking Red Hen’s social media through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Goodreads, Pinterest, etc; creating social media analysis reports; writing and proofreading blog posts and press releases; providing general Publicity support such as data entry, filing, scanning, mailing execution, database maintenance and upkeep, and other administrative duties; and providing general office support and upkeep as needed.
Internship benefits include free workshops and presentations on various topics taught by our experienced staff; an intern luncheon and Q&A with our Managing Editor and Publisher; invites to Red Hen readings and events; complimentary books; and course credit, if applicable.
- Proficiency with Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram (familiarity with Word Press and InDesign a plus)
- Previous experience working on social media for businesses
- Previous experience with nonprofit PR (not required but preferred)
- Proven written and grammatical proficiency (all candidates must complete an editorial test)
- Successful completion of two or more years of university or community college coursework
- Background in publishing (not required but preferred)
- An ability to commit to 16–24 hours per week for 4–6 months
- A completed or in-progress undergraduate degree (at least 2 years completed by requested internship season) in a relevant field (i.e. English, Communication, etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent research abilities and a meticulous attention to detail
- A self-starting attitude and ability to maintain deadlines, multi-task, and work efficiently in a fast-paced environment without close supervision
- Strong ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Computer literacy, especially with Microsoft Office and Windows 7 and 10
To apply, please email your resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and Red Hen to: jobs[at]redhen.org
Make sure to include “Social Media Internship” in your subject line. Only PDF and .doc/.docx files will be considered.
Interested candidates should submit their materials and applications by the following dates:
Summer: May 31
Fall: August 31
Winter/Spring: November 30
Rolling internships: Ongoing application acceptance.
Please apply to only one internship at a time; if you are interested in more than one position, please apply to your first choice and indicate your second choice in your cover letter.
All applications that do not follow the above guidelines will not be considered.