- This event has passed.
Writing & Publishing the Personal Essay Workshop w/ Kristen Millares Young
January 5 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm PST
The University of Washington’s Professional & Continuing Education sector is hosting this workshop with author of SUBDUCTION, Kristen Millares Young.
ABOUT THIS COURSE
What is a personal essay, and how do you write one in a way that engages your reader? In this course, you’ll learn the careful art of crafting a compelling personal essay.
We’ll work our way through each essential phase of the process: generating topic ideas, developing a first draft, workshopping in class, revising and editing, and submitting for publication. Together we’ll explore the thriving market for personal essays and analyze the various outlets for your writing. Guest speakers from online and print publications will offer strategies and insider tips for pitching and submitting your work.
Those interested in crafting personal essays and getting them published.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- How to shape a basic concept into a viable essay subject
- Effective types of essay structures
- How to collect and apply feedback in the revision process
- Ways to foster relationships with editors and pitch your work to publications
- Techniques for navigating the process of selling and promoting your work
GET HANDS-ON EXPERIENCE
- Develop a solid draft of your personal essay
- Craft a pitch letter that you can send to editors and publishers
- 9 WEEKS
NEXT START DATE:
JANUARY 5, 2021
This course is part of a certificate program. You can also take it without enrolling in the program.