Internships for this department are closed until the office has resumed in-office operations.
Red Hen Press seeks a motivated and highly organized individual to fulfill an internship, acting as an assistant to the Production Associate.
Responsibilities may include: Maintenance of production schedule, management of contracts, timely delivery of all author materials, copy editing, proofreading, assisting with submission management, obtaining quotations for all production. Familiarity with Adobe InDesign a plus. Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel & Access is mandatory. This is a great opportunity to become involved with the nitty-gritty of book production and design.
Internship benefits include free workshops and presentations on various topics taught by our experienced staff; an intern luncheon and Q&A with our Managing Editor and Publisher; invites to Red Hen readings and events; complimentary books; and course credit, if applicable.
- Background in publishing (not required but preferred)
- An ability to commit to 16–24 hours per week for 4–6 months
- A completed or in-progress undergraduate degree (at least 2 years completed by requested internship season) in a relevant field (i.e. English, Communication, etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent research abilities and a meticulous attention to detail
- A self-starting attitude and ability to maintain deadlines, multi-task, and work efficiently in a fast-paced environment without close supervision
- Strong ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Computer literacy, especially with Microsoft Office and Windows 7 and 10
To apply, please email your resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and Red Hen to: jobs[at]redhen.org
Make sure to include “Publisher’s Office Internship” in your subject line. Only PDF and .doc/.docx files will be considered.
Interested candidates should submit their materials and applications by the following dates:
Summer: May 31
Fall: August 31
Winter/Spring: November 30
Rolling internships: Ongoing application acceptance.
Please apply to only one internship at a time; if you are interested in more than one position, please apply to your first choice and indicate your second choice in your cover letter.
All applications that do not follow the above guidelines will not be considered.