We are currently hiring Graphic Design interns (updated July 2021)
Design internships are intended for qualified applicants seeking hands-on experience in design—especially related to publishing. Ideal candidates will have an excellent visual eye, a strong background in art and design, and an avid interest in literature.
The Design intern works closely with the Production Associate and Publisher to maintain Red Hen’s high visual standards and established book design brand. Responsibilities may include: laying out, proofreading, and inputting corrections to manuscripts, catalogs, and galleys; presenting artwork ideas for and designing book covers; designing brochures, flyers, posters, e-blasts, advertisements, and other promotional materials; researching for various projects; providing general Production support such as data entry, filing, scanning, database maintenance and upkeep, and other administrative duties; and providing general office support and upkeep as needed.
Internship benefits include free workshops and presentations on various topics taught by our experienced staff; an intern luncheon and Q&A with our Managing Editor and Publisher; invites to Red Hen readings and events; complimentary books; and course credit, if applicable.
- A familiarity with InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator (fluency preferred)
- A familiarity with HTML and CSS (not required but preferred)
- A completed or in-progress undergraduate degree in Art, Design, or related field (at least 2 years completed by requested internship season)
- An ability to commit to 16–24 hours per week for 4–6 months
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent research abilities and a meticulous attention to detail
- A self-starting attitude and ability to maintain deadlines, multi-task, and work efficiently in a fast-paced environment without close supervision
- Strong ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Computer literacy, especially with Microsoft Office and Windows 7 and 10
- Background in publishing (not required but preferred)
To apply, please email your resume, portfolio, and cover letter explaining your interest in the position and Red Hen to: jobs[at]redhen.org.
Make sure to include “Design Internship” in your subject line. Only PDF and .doc/.docx files will be considered.
Interested candidates should submit their materials and applications by the following dates:
Summer: May 31
Fall: August 31
Winter/Spring: November 30
Rolling internships: Ongoing application acceptance.
Please apply to only one internship at a time; if you are interested in more than one position, please apply to your first choice and indicate your second choice in your cover letter.
All applications that do not follow the above guidelines will not be considered.