Marketing & Publicity internships are intended for qualified applicants seeking hands-on experience in sales, marketing, and public relations—especially related to publishing. Ideal candidates will have excellent organization and communication skills, a self-starting attitude and ability to work independently, a close attention to detail, and a strong interest in literature.
The Marketing & Publicity intern works closely with the Marketing Associate and Publicist to advertise and promote Red Hen’s books and programs. Responsibilities may include: organizing and promoting Red Hen readings; managing the press’s social media; pitching features and interviews to media and sales markets; writing and proofreading press releases; managing book awards submissions; researching new review publications and academic course adoption opportunities; updating publicity and sales kits; assisting with review copy distribution and processing reviews of our books; designing and executing sales mailings; maintaining bookstore and other vendor databases; providing general Marketing & Publicity support such as data entry, filing, scanning, database maintenance and upkeep, and other administrative duties; and providing general office support and upkeep as needed.Internship benefits include free workshops and presentations on various topics taught by our experienced staff; an intern luncheon and Q&A with our Managing Editor and Publisher; invites to Red Hen readings and events; complimentary books; and course credit, if applicable.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel (familiarity with Access is a plus)
- Successful completion of one or more years of university or community college coursework
- Basic knowledge of contemporary literature
- Previous experience with PR, marketing, or event planning a plus
- An ability to commit to 16–24 hours per week for 4–6 months
- A completed or in-progress undergraduate degree in English, Communications, or related field (at least 2 years completed by requested internship season)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent research abilities
- A meticulous attention to detail
- A self-starting attitude and ability to maintain deadlines, multi-task, and work efficiently in a fast-paced environment without close supervision
- Computer literacy, especially with Microsoft Office, Adobe Reader, and Windows 7 and 10
To apply, please email your resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and Red Hen to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Make sure to include “Marketing & Publicity Internship” in your subject line. Only PDF and .doc/.docx files will be considered.
Interested candidates should submit their materials and applications by the following dates:
Summer: May 31
Fall: August 31
Winter/Spring: November 30
Rolling internships: Ongoing application acceptance.
Please apply to only one internship at a time; if you are interested in more than one position, please apply to your first choice and indicate your second choice in your cover letter.
All applications that do not follow the above guidelines will not be considered.